On October 7, 1863 a Congregational Church was organized with Reverend Henry Willard, as pastor, and 28 charter members.
The Wabasha Herald reported on the church's dedication on October 5, 1871. THe story read as follows:
The congregational Church is now completed. The main audience room is 36 x 56 feet and seats 350 prsons, The vestry is 365 x 28 feet, and contains a lecture room, infant class room, and pastors study. In front of the aim audience room is the steeple projecting some seven feet beyond the main building. Its height is 90 feet. The building is of GOthic style of architecture furnished with stained glass windows, and is finished withn black walnut and butternut wood. It is heated by a Lawson wood furnace, and neatly furnished.
It was dedicated on Thursday evening of last week. The house was well filled. There were present to assist in the exercises Rev. A. Fuller of Rochester, Rev. W.B. Dada, Lake City, Rev. Chas. Duren, St Charles, Rev. G. Holbombe, Elgin, and Rev. Henry WIllard, Plainview.
After the usual opening exercises, Rev. Mr. Fuller delivered a sermon which was very appropriate for the occasion.
After the sermon, the financial report of the auditing committee, E.H. Halleck, A.Y. Felton, and H. Hammons, was given as follows:
Amount expended for building Congregational Church, including furnace, sheds, lots and insurance when completed, $6,937.90. The amount is divided as follows:
Cost of church edifice.............................$5,536.78
Insurance of building for 36 yrs.............. 60.00
Costs of two lots.................................... 600.00
Costs of 9 horse sheds ......................... 102.00
Cost of furniture, ;amps, carpets, chairs. 246.00
Cost of furnaces and stoves, including
mason work & fixtures............................. 392.72
First Congregational Ministers
1863 - 1882 Rev. Henry Willard
1882 - 1883 Rev. George E Freeman
1883 - 1885 Rev. S. K. Perkins
1885 - 1890 Rev. J. B. Henshaw
1890 - 1895 Rev. A. J. Loomis
1895 - 1897 Rev. A. J. Williams
1897 - 1899 Rev. F. J. Brown
1900 - 1903 Rev. F. H. Anderson
1903 - 1905 Rev. A. D. Adams
1905 - 1908 Rev. W. E. Griffith
1909 - 1916 Rev. H. C. Todd
1916 - 1920 Rev. J. L. Jones
1920 - 1922 Rev. W. M. Osborn
1922 - 1923 Rev. T. H. Jones
1923 - 1924 Rev. A. L. Axt
1925 - 1926 Rev. Ardell Look (student)
1927 - 1927 Rev. L. E. Kennedy
United Churches Congregational and Methodist
1927 - 1930 Rev. G.E. Martin
1930 - 1934 Rev. C. W. Gilman
1934 – 1935 Rev. C. E. Soutter
1935 – 1936 Rev. F. Greene
1936 – 1939 Rev. Marshall Olson
1939 - 1951 Rev. C.F. Stratton
1951 - 1953 Rev. Edward Dehl
1954 - 1958 Rev. W.J. Brown
1958 - 1967 Rev. Charles Schwenke
1968 - 1978 Rev. John Greene
1979 - 1986 Rev. Gordon Hoke
1986 - 1993 Rev Jim Walker (Supply minister)
1993 - 2009 Rev Paul Moore
2010 - 2011 Rev LeRoy Haynes (interim minister)
2011 - Current Rev John H.G. Curtiss
Community Presbyterian Church
505 W Broadway
Plainview, MN 55964
Phone: 507 534-2298
Pastor John H.G. Curtiss
Cell Phone: 507-316-8048
Worship Services every Sunday at 10:00 AM
There is an adult Sunday school class each week at 9 am in the basement. Children 6 and under have special care provided during worship most Sundays.
A special cry room for families with
small children is available.
Coffee fellowship is an important part of Sunday mornings. Come early (9:30) for a fresh cup of coffee in the narthex.
Following worship, we gather in the basement for an extended time of fellowship.
We're here to welcome you. For non-emergencies, please drop by during these hours:
1:00 PM - 5:00PM MON-THU